Fire Extinguisher Success Stories

Mott’s workers helped keep neighbor’s house fire under control with fire extinguishers

Aspers, Penn. – Mott’s Plant Manager Terry Redding said a worker who was taking out trash noticed smoke coming from the house next door and told another employee to call 911. A handful of plant workers helped contain a fire that broke out at the home of Kelly and Brian Lady next door to the plant. Workers used 11 fire extinguishers from the plant to help suppress the blaze until fire companies responded around shortly before 10 a.m. The blaze was fully extinguished by 11 a.m.

Ashes from the stove piping landed in a pile of leaves on the front porch, igniting the flames that caused damage mostly to the exterior of the house. Kelly Lady, who was home alone with the dogs when the fire started, said she never saw any ashes blowing through the pipes.


Laptop Bursts Into Flames, Owner Says Laptop Was Charging

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- Firefighters were called to a home in the 8900 block of Rene Wednesday morning after a laptop computer burst into flames. Paul Kupperman said his wife, Juli, was at home reading e-mail on a different computer when the Sony Vaio laptop computer caught fire. "Flames started to shoot out from all different directions," Juli Kupperman said.

She put out the fire with a fire extinguisher and called him at work to tell him what happened. "(The laptop) burst into flames again while she was on the phone with me. So I dropped the phone and called 911 and started for home. She had it put out on the driveway by the time everyone got here," Paul Kupperman said. Kupperman said his laptop computer was turned off, but was charging at the time of the fire. He said the only damage was a smudge on the wall and fire extinguisher dust on the furniture.


Taxi Cab Controller Fights His Way Out of an Inferno

A taxicab controller fought his way out of an inferno after the firm was blasted with petrol bombs in the middle of the night. The shift controller at Network Cars in Tottenham Lane, Hornsey, who would only identify himself as Michael, was in the cab office at 1:45 a.m. last Wednesday when two people stormed in and threw two petrol bombs through a gap in the screen to the control room.

He said: "It spurted everywhere. I have never seen anything ignite so quickly in all my life. It was pitch black - all the lights went out. I had to feel for the fire extinguisher through the smoke.

"Ziggy came in and I got him to throw water over everything that wasn't alight so it wouldn't spread. I put the fire out myself with the extinguisher. I kept calm because I'm laid-back anyway, but first of all I couldn't get out, so I didn't have much choice.

"If I would have left it, the whole building would have been up by the time the fire brigade came."

Police were alerted to the incident by a person reporting it over the counter at Tottenham Police Station. By the time the emergency services arrived, the fire was out.


Electrical Malfunction Causes Fire in Oshkosh

Officials from the Oshkosh Fire Department said an electrical malfunction is the cause of a Tuesday morning fire at The Dog House & Pet Center, 2275 Omro Road, Oshkosh.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 9:22 a.m. Fire department officials said the fire caused minor damage to ceiling tiles and insulation in the building.

B.J. Nerenhausen, co-owner of The Dog House & Pet Center with her husband, Scott, said about two dozen dogs, other small animals and birds were evacuated safely from the building. She said groomers employed at the business put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher. She said there were no fire related injuries.


Portable Fire Extinguisher Puts Out Grease Fire

A fast-acting employee at the Jersey Lilly Tavern kept a grease fire, and damage costs, at bay today when a fire broke out in the kitchen, firefighters say.

The Roseburg Fire Department responded to the fire at the tavern around 9:30 a.m. An employee used a portable fire extinguisher designed for grease fires to extinguish the fire and keep it from spreading, according to a fire department press release.

No injuries were reported and the damage is estimated at less than $1,000.

The fire department cautions restaurant managers and employees to know their fire emergency responsibilities; know where alarms and extinguishers are located; and learn how to help evacuate customers.

Employees should also learn about their facility's fire suppression system and how to use it in case of emergencies, according to the press release.

A kitchen should be considered a hazard area, firefighters say. Grease accumulation on stoves and hoods, missing knobs on burners and missing hood system filters can lead to fires. Leaving cooking food unattended can be dangerous and exit ways should be kept clear.

Employees should receive on-going fire safety training and firefighters should be called even for small fires, according to the release.


Lucky Escape: A Mother Tells How She Fled Her Home Cradling Her Baby After a Terrifying Arson Attack

Caroline McHarg, 34, and her five-month-old daughter Catherine, who suffers water on the brain, were woken just after midnight on Saturday at their home in Charles Street, Boldon Colliery. Her two bedroom flat was filled with thick black smoke after arsonists are believed to have set fire to paper and pushed it through her letter box.

Mrs McHarg said: "I had no time to be scared, my first thoughts were to get Catherine out. "I grabbed her and we ran through to the back where we have a fire exit. "I've never had such a fright in my life. After we went to bed about half-an-hour later the smoke alarm started going off."

Quick-thinking neighbors, who feared the mum and baby still inside the flat, kicked down her front door and put out flames with a fire extinguisher. Firefighters praised their actions, which prevented the blaze from spreading to a gas pipe and electricity box.

Luckily, Mrs McHarg, who moved from Kilmarnock in Scotland, 10 years ago, and her daughter did not need medical attention. Mrs McHarg's husband Kevin, 36, was on night shift at the time of the fire before returning home to comfort his family.


Suppression System Success Story

At 10:30 a.m. at Prince Georges Community Hospital, employees noticed that the fryer in the main kitchen began smoking and the fryer burst into flames. The cooking equipment's automatic fire suppression system detected the fire and activated. The fuel supply to the defective fryer was turned off by the system and a signal was sent to the local fire department. Upon arrival, the fire department found the fire completely extinguished. There was no property damage and an evacuation of hundreds of people was avoided.


Standpipe Fire Hose Station Success Story

22News At 11:00
WWLP-TV CH 22 (NBC) Television Springfield, Massachusetts

Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of a fire at a Ludlow shop this afternoon, with the fire being slowed by workers with fire hoses. Capt. Mark Rabineau, Ludlow Fire Department, says the fire was quickly contained.